Apart from the vast bulk of Public Records and Private Papers, the National Archives has a rich and ever growing collection of Library. This has some of the oldest and rare publications on a variety of subjects, besides contemporary published material. The holdings of the Library consist of the material mentioned below :
- 1,78,000 Books & Reports.
- 3,299 Proscribed Publications.
- 400 Selections from Vernacular Native News papers.
- 4,225 Selections from Government of India/State Government Records.
- 4,590 Volumes of Indian Parliamentary Papers.
- 1,285 Volumes of Fort William College Collection.
- 3,560 Journals & Periodicals.
- 1,778 Gazettes.
- 2,960 Publications in Foreign Languages.
Networking of Five Major Libraries
The Department of Culture has initiated action for networking of five major Libraries i.e.
(i) Central Secretariat Library(CSL), New Delhi,
(ii) National Museum Library(NML), New Delhi,
(iii) National Gallery of Modern Art(NGMA) Library, New Delhi,
(iv) National Archives of India(NAI) Library, and
(v) Archaeological Survey of India(ASI) Library, New Delhi.
(i) Availability of Library Catalogue Details on Computers.
(ii) Intra Library accessibility of records.
(iii) Internet/Intranet access for libraries, and
(iv) Remote log-in to internal database/network.