National Archives of India acts as the Secretariat of the Indian Historical Records Commission (IHRC) (re-designated as Indian Historical Records Committee in 2011) and National Committee of Archivists (NCA) to provide guidance in management, administration, preservation and use of records. IHRC was set up in 1919 and it is a high-powered body headed by the Union Minister of Culture and comprises eminent historians, administrators and archivists. However, NCA is a professional platform of archivists from all States/UTs.
The Committees impart guidance to agencies/officials from time to time and offer on the spot advice to the various institutions. The coordination work with various institutions viz., deputation of National Archives of India officials, organization of lectures, visitors, seminars, permission to shoot film/documentary, etc are also coordinated by the Section.
1. Indian Historical Records Committee – National Archives of India is the Secretariat of Indian Historical Records Committee. The Indian Historical Records Committee is an all India Forum of creators, custodians and users of records which was set up in 1919 to advice the Government of India on all issues connected with the management of records and their use for historical research. The Committee is headed by the Union Minister of Culture and comprises of members including nominees of the Government of India, representatives from Central/State Governments, Universities and Learned institutions. The Committee has so far held 61 sessions and the last session was held on 19-20 December 2013 under the auspices of the Bihar State Archives, Patna.
2. National Committee of Archivists' – This is an all-India body of professional archivists from States/U.T.s to meet and discuss professional and technical problems being faced by archives departments in their day to day functions. The Committee is headed by the Director General of Archives, National Archives of India. It was set up in 1953 and has so far held 45 meetings. The last was held on 3-4 September 2013 under the auspices of Department of Delhi Archives, Delhi.
3. Public Relations – This involves liaison with various institutions, visit of trainees from the various Institutions, School Students, delegations and correspondence as well as coordination and electronic media regarding projection of the image of the Department.
4. Coordinating Advisory work – The National Archives of India’s advice and guidance is sought by many agencies and officials. The Department has offered advice to the UPSC, PSC of Uttar Pradesh, Burdwan University, Dr.Rajendra Prasad Memorial Committee among others in establishing their archival museums, etc.
5. Foundation day celebration:- The Section has been entrusted with the responsibility for organizing foundation day celebrations of the National Archives of India every year. The Department is celebrating its 125th foundation year which will conclude on 11th March 2016. Various activities including monthly lecture series by eminent scholars, mounting of exhibition, release of publications, commemorative coin/stamp and emblem with moto/tagline were implemented with various sections of NAI.
6. Subscription of NAI for membership in India: It involves payment of annual subscription fees to eight Institutions viz., Indian Association of Special Libraries and Information Centre, Kolkata, Computer Society of India, Mumbai, Indian History Congress, Delhi, Indian Association for Conservation of Cultural Properties, New Delhi, Association of Indian Archivists, New Delhi, North East Indian History Association, Shillong, Institute of Historical Studies, Kolkata (Life Member) and Indian History and Cultural Society, New Delhi (Life Member) in India on yearly basis.
The information relating to activities and functions of the National Archives of India sought by various Ministries as well as Ministry of Culture is collected from the various Divisions of the Department and same is sent to them after compilation.
Commissions/ Committees / Commemorations /Fellowship
Director General of Archives is associated with the Governing body/important committees of several organizations including Indian Council of Historical Research, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla, National Museum Institute, V.V. Giri Labour Institute, Vrindaban Research Institute, North East Zone Cultural Centre, Mentor Council of the M/Culture, Coordination Committee of the National Mission on Manuscripts and Antiquities, ASI, etc. The correspondence relating to Director General of Archives's participation in meetings of these bodies and their follow up are dealt by the Section.
|S.No.||Name of the organisation||Position of DG|
|1||Indian Council of Cultural Research, New Delhi,||Member|
|2||Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla||-do-|
|3||National Museum Institute, New Delhi||-do-|
|4||Vrindaban Research Institute, Vrindaban (UP)||-do-|
|5||North East Zone Cultural Centre (NEZCC), Dimapur.||-do-|
|6||Mentor Council of the M/Culture, New Delhi||-do-|
|7||Coordination Committee of the National Mission on Manuscripts and Antiquities, ASI, New Delhi||-do-|