Coordination and International Relations Section are involved with the following areas:
1 . Indian Historical Records Committee – National Archives of India is the Secretariat of Indian Historical Records Committee. The Indian Historical Records Committee is an all India Forum of creators, custodians and users of records which was set up in 1919 to advice the Government of India on all issues connected with the management of records and their use for historical research. The Committee is headed by the Union Minister of Culture and comprises members including nominees of the Government of India, representatives from Central/State Governments, Universities and Learned institutions. The Committee has so far held 61 sessions and the last (61st) session was held on 19-20 December 2013 at Patna under the auspices of the Bihar State Archives.
2. National Committee of Archivists – This is an all India body of professional archivists from all states/U.T.s to meet and discuss professional and technical problems being faced by Archives Departments in their day to day functions. The Committee is headed by the Director General of Archives, National Archives of India. It was set up in 1953 and has so far held 45 meetings. The last (45th meeting) was held on 3-4 September 2013 at Delhi Secretariat under the auspices of Department of Delhi Archives, Government of NCT of Delhi.
3. Cultural Exchange Programmes/Memorandum of Understanding – India has Cultural Exchange Programmes/Memorandum of Understanding with a number of countries and National Archives of India is responsible for coordinating and implementing clauses relating to Archives in the Cultural Exchange Programmes. This involves regular correspondence with concerned agencies of the respective countries, our missions abroad, and submitting quarterly returns to Ministry of Culture on their implementation.
4. International Relations – National Archives of India is a Treasurer of the South and West Asian Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (SWARBICA) and also member of several international bodies including ICA, SWARBICA, ACARM, etc with whom regular correspondence is maintained on various aspects of archival cooperation.
5. Committees - Director General of Archives is a member of the Governing bodies/important Committees of several organizations including ICHR, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla, National Museum Institute, V.V. Giri Labour Institute, Vrindaban Research Institute, NEZCC, etc. The Section handles correspondence relating to the participation of Director General of Archives in meetings of these bodies and related matters.
6. Public Relations – This involves coordination and liaison with various institutions regarding deputation of National Archives of India officials for lectures, seminars, workshops, training and attending to visitors, film and documentary makers etc.
7. Coordinating Advisory work - National Archives of India’s advice and guidance is sought by many agencies and officials of the Department are sent from time to time to offer on the spot advice and guidance to the various institutions. The Department has tendered advice to the UPSC, PSC Uttar Pradesh, Burdwan University, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Memorial Committee among others, for establishing archival museums and other allied aspects.
8. Foundation day celebration:- Coordinated the work related to the various activities undertaken for the 125th celebrations of National Archives of India.
9. Subscription of NAI members in India and Abroad: It involves payment of annual subscription fees to three foreign institutions viz., International Council on Archives (ICA), South and West Asian Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (SWARBICA) and Association of Commonwealth Archivists and Records Managers (ACARM) and eight Institutions in India on yearly basis.
10. Tagore National Fellowship/Scholarship: The Section also processes the applications received for the award of fellowships/scholarships under the Scheme of Tagore National Fellowships for Cultural Research.
11. Coordination: Information on various activities and functions of the National Archives of India are sent to the Ministries as and when sought by them.
12. Deputation abroad: The Section has also been entrusted the work for deputation of NAI officers abroad under CEP/MOU and also for attending conferences/ seminars/ trainings/ workshops, etc abroad.